

**Western Field Ornithologists
Board of Directors
Videoconference
Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 1-4pm PST
(continued coronavirus pandemic)**

Minutes prepared by Liga L. Auzins Wurster, *Rec. Sec'y.*

Board Members present: Jonathan L. Dunn, *President*; Kurt M. Leuschner, *Past President*; John H. Harris, *Vice President*; Shaun F. Wilde, *Treasurer/Membership Secretary*; Suzanne M. Carota, *Past Treasurer/Membership Secretary*; Liga L. Auzins Wurster, *Recording Secretary*; Matthew J. Baumann, Wendy L. Beers, Kimball L. Garrett, Daniel D. Gibson, Robert Gill, Susan S. Gilliland, Karen A. Havlena, Robin Leong, Don Marsh, Andrew Mauro, Kristie Nelson, Diane E. Rose.

Guests: Philip Unitt, *Editor, Western Birds (WB)*; Judith Dunham, *Editor, Newsletter.*

MINUTES

1:05pm Meeting called to order, welcome and roll.

Jon: Approval of Minutes from 08/23/21:

Motion to approve 08/23/21 minutes by Don, seconded by Diane, and passed unanimously.

Treasurer: Shaun

Report: Training with Suzanne has been going well. I am working on my third closing with her. You may have noticed if you received a check from WFO that we are going to move to having most checks to be distributed electronically through the bank. We are also looking at separating some of the administrative duties from the treasurer duties. John Harris will be talking about the concept of looking for a part-time administrator to support WFO and its growth. We want to remove from the website the option of selling back volumes of **WB**. We will have the current volume on hand.

Kimball: A request might come in for back issues outside of the website. A lot of us probably have extra issues of **WB** going way back sitting around, so if somebody is looking for a particular issue rather than completely putting them off, it might be nice to send a note to the Board and asking if anybody happens to have

this issue and have that person send it off. I don't know how often that might happen, but it would be a nice service.

Suzanne: We could put that on the website in the **WB** section.

Kimball: Let me think about that. It does not need to go through the Treasurer if they are not being sold anymore. **ACTION ITEM:** Kimball will think about mailing back issues of **WB**

Suzanne: A note to Phil, on the back page of WB, it has a note about buying back copies, can you take that off for the next issue? **Phil:** Yes, and can Don get it off the website too? **ACTION ITEM** See above sentences

Shaun: To continue my budget report: For the 2022 budget requests we are going to put in two new requests. One is the hiring of an outside tax accountant for our Federal and State filings as well as the 1099s. We have looked at two organizations and they have both quoted us about \$1,000. The other is integrated software for the membership. Our current one is 6-7 years old and is cumbersome. There is no cost associated with it right now as we are at the exploratory stage.

Financial Highlights: You have your September Financial Statements. We continue to show solid growth in terms of donations due to the conference and Birdathon. The Birdathon had over 300 donors and we still have donations coming in. We are looking about \$30,000 here. For the conference side, even though we moved to a virtual conference, we did well. We have a \$8,000 net right now. We are in good financial shape due to these two items.

Jon: Do you have an estimate for the profit/loss for the year?

Suzanne: We will be approximately in the \$30,000 profit range for the year.

Shaun: I sent out the Board package - the spreadsheet which will need to be filled out and the budget calendar. If you are a Committee Chair the last day to submit budgets for 2022 detail to me is the 12th of November. The Finance Committee will have a meeting around the 19th when we review all of it. We will have a Board meeting Dec. 8th hopefully to approve this budget. **ACTION ITEM:** See above for deadline of budget submittals.

1:30pm Finance Committee: Kurt

Report: Most organizations like ours have a Legacy Society with investment options. After taking a little break for the Treasurer transition, the Finance Committee is continuing to work on creating a Legacy Society for WFO and we are exploring ways to invest the new money which includes outside consulting as

needed. Once we get the Legacy Society going, this will ensure that WFO will keep going long after we are gone.

Publications Committee: Kimball

There is no additional information on the monographs. Ken has been aware of the price increase with Allen Press. We will get another update from them. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Jon: I am wondering when Craig Ely will be in touch regarding the Tule goose monograph.

Bob: Craig Ely is waiting to hear back from the government agencies. It is an issue that they are reluctant to address. I am referring to the monograph on the Tule goose with possible elevation to species status which then brings in the Gunnison management headaches with USFWS, Cal. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife(CDFW), and Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game(ADF&G). **ACTION: ITEM:** We will have to continue to pursue this. Maybe the monograph will not address that part of the subject.

Western Birds (WB): Phil

Report: **WB** 52(4) went to the printer on November 1, Tim got it up on the website yesterday and sent the announcement around. One thing that wasn't in the report that I circulated to the Board was that the supply chain issues have hit our printer as well. The paper for the issue is not being delivered until Friday, so it will be Monday of this week when it starts printing. We are ahead of our flow of manuscripts of the last 9 years, giving us the best year of our last 14.

The question is how much would our cost increase if we went to the Perfect Binding instead of the stapling that we have now? It would be an approximately increase of 20% per issue, so the issue that we just published, 52(4) at 92 pages, is typical. There is an extra complication because the coating on the covers that we have currently to enhance the photos, cannot be glued to, so if we go to Perfect Binding, then that will take some extra engineering that the printer must do to accommodate that. One option would be to dispense with that coating on the inside thereby dispensing with the photos on the inside. That is one question to be balanced. I am getting complaints from Barry Blackwood, our printer, about how the costs are going up as well as issues with the supply of paper. Paper has increased 28% this year and more increases may be coming. When we formulate the budget for **WB** for next year regardless of if we decide to go to Perfect Binding or not, we need to take that into consideration.

I talked to our new librarian here at the museum, Ariel Hammond. I didn't know that you must be registered with Google Scholar. In trying to enhance our listing on Google, there are things that I can't do nor can Tim. We need a media manager, somebody who knows about this stuff to create links in things like Wikipedia, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous statement.

Kimball: We approved Todd Benton's work with Phil and Tim on the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) project. We knew from the beginning that it was going to be many steps, including unanticipated ones. We are grateful to receive the approval we have gotten. With Phil's hard work and now with the increased input from Todd, we will get there. Thanks for everybody's patience, but we all agree it is one of the important things we must do as an organization.

Phil: Todd sees his role as an advisor and communicating with whatever influencers are needed to put this into effect, rather than being the one doing the work and creating all these links. This is something we should talk to him about. **ACTION ITEM:** See above paragraph.

Jon: We have paid the money and there are extra hoops, i.e., links that we must go through where we don't know how to do the technical things. We should pay someone we know to do this. Who would approach Todd and ask him where do we get links to get us to the point that we paid money for? **ACTION ITEM:** Phil or Kimball can follow up with Todd.

1:50pm **Newsletter: Judith Dunham**

ALL: Welcome and great to have Judith on board.

Report: I am happy to do the newsletter. Chris did a magnificent job for 2 years in building the newsletter with fantastic content. The one thing I feel is dated is the whole presentation where a Word document was turned into a huge .pdf file. It should be an email newsletter in which you can click through to the website to read the item in full or to sign up for an event, etc. There are many advantages to an email newsletter that Todd Benton outlined in his proposal, as did I in my overview. By continuing items and articles onto the website by readers clicking through to them, you update the website and keep it fresh. Today, newsletters are read by mobile as are websites. Todd went into Ed P.'s 'Get Response' account and found that we could get the newsletter from templates and 'Get Response.' This means that we need not send this to a mailing list on another platform, if you stay with 'Get Response,' something that you are already paying for (about \$300/yr.). There are no additional costs for doing the newsletter. Eventually a discussion needs to take place about what to do with people on the mailing list. We can see who opens the emails, passes on the newsletter, etc. There are a lot of advantages of keeping this

all together. This 'new' newsletter will not be launched until Spring of 2022 and will be titled by season. I am doing the Winter newsletter and it will still have to be a Word document turned into a .pdf. For a couple of articles that will be in this newsletter, I will provide a link to the website including articles by Paul Lehman. If you like I can ask for his previous columns in the first issues of the newsletter and those can live on the website too if people want to look at past sightings rather than pore through the previous newsletters. **ACTION ITEM: See previous sentence.** Chris was helpful in turning the newsletter over to me and explaining how he did it. Being a biologist and ornithologist, he has a network of people he works with. I am neither an ornithologist nor a biologist. I don't have the ability to comb through all that material. My only network is all of you. **ACTION ITEM: I need to rely on all of you for content for the newsletter.** The newsletter should work hard for WFO; it should promote our programs and inform members what the Committees are doing.

Todd is going to charge \$1,250 for 2022 which will include helping to make templates for which he will be training me, and he will also be providing support services. He will take the newsletter through the year 2022. Tim has given me an estimate on the extra costs that he will need to post the newsletter to the website. I have also asked \$600 for a proofreader. I feel strongly that a fresh set of eyes are important for catching errors. The total for year 2022 is \$2,150. Todd and Tim are absolutely terrific, and I have to say their fees are rather low. You are lucky to have them because they are great people, and they are willing to explain. At the end of the year, I may feel that I need some technical help putting the content in the templates. When we get the approval to go ahead with the newsletter, then Todd and I will have other discussions about the general approach on how we want to proceed. The only thing I could see happening is that Tim might have been giving Paul Lehman some space on the website and something else I have in mind that would go in the newsletter.

Kimball: The Pubs Committee will do Judith's budget which will be in 4 increments throughout the year. **ACTION ITEM: See previous sentence.**

Jon: Regarding the proofreader issue, are you thinking of \$600 annually?

Judith: I will have to see how the new year goes. I have never done this nor has Todd or Tim done this function either. It's an estimate. Todd and I will have some discussions as part of our \$500 nest egg that the Board gave me. We will probably have a Zoom. I forgot to mention that Bryce Robinson is part of our little team, and Bryce will advise on the banner for the newsletter. This banner would also appear on Ed P.'s email so that anything that comes in from WFO is recognizable. "It is something from WFO, I think I will check it out."

Kimball: Is there any objection by Board members to this transition of our newsletter? Hearing none, we are all on board.

Judith: Thank you very much and I will be in touch with you all and I will keep Kimball informed on how it is going **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Kimball: Judith, needs content so let's not disappoint her. Her deadline is November 15th for the next newsletter so Committee Chairs please contribute if you can and submit now. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous paragraph.

Judith: John Harris is going to send me some items. Kimball you have something; we have the Birdathon wrap up with photographs, and we have Paul Lehman. So, we are well set for this next issue. There are some mundane things I would like to see addressed. There are 2400 people on the mailing list of which only 1,000 are members. I would like to see in the newsletter a pitch for membership. I think we should take every opportunity we can to garner membership. **ACTION ITEM:** Pitch for membership in newsletter.

Jon: Robin, it sounds like the pitch for membership goes under Outreach. **ACTION ITEM:** Write pitch for membership copy.

Judith: Todd found members that have not renewed nor opened the email within Ed P.'s platform, There are 450 people who have not opened an email in 6 months. You can engage these people by sending them a final email and say "We've lost your attention and you will be removed from the list. If you feel otherwise, please let us know." There is a whole ladder of possibilities that you can do on this platform and Ed P. has never really looked at that. **ACTION ITEM:** Send email to inactive members regarding the newsletter and membership.

Jon: I am all in favor of actuating this.

Robin: We should have a column. I will write something by the 15th.

Judith: Thank you. This would be for people to rejoin or to join if they have never been a member. Todd sent me an email on how you go into this program and how to re-engage them. I told Todd we need to find someone who could do this. Todd said, "I could teach you to do this," but I have a lack of interest in it. I think it takes a separate discussion at some point on how to do this. **ACTION ITEM:** Possible assistance needed with email.

2:15pm **Committee Reports:**

Meetings Committee: John Harris:

Report: First, I would like to talk about the previously postponed Reno Meeting that is coming up in early September. Because the conference has been pushed back for 2 years, there are many elements of the conference that have had a lot of work done on them, i.e., Diane has worked hard on setting up the registration, Ed P. had all the field trips organized, we have the plenary speaker, and we have the keynote speaker, etc., We have an addendum to the contract with the hotel. However, there is a lot of work to do, and some things are going to be happening in the near term (before Christmas at least). One of the things Ed urged me to do right away is to get back to the Field Trip leaders and get their availability with the new dates; the same thing with the speakers although we may have already done that. Another aspect of the Field Trips is that some of the sites may have been impacted by a fire thereby redirecting them. I am going to make a site visit to the hotel to meet the people we will be working with, to see it for myself, to see things about our contract, and see what steps need to happen next with the hotel. Diane is ready to test registrations so I will be the first guinea pig on that. Likely by our next Board meeting I will be able to identify some needs where I might need to ask help either from Board members or volunteers from the general membership. This would be something for the Spring newsletter: a plea for volunteers. One thing I am a little concerned about the meeting is vans and their costs or even if they are possible. Ed P. had planned on renting 10 vans for about 2/3 of the field trips. Costs for rental vehicles has exploded since the pandemic. The van reservations we made a year ago are gone now and we are starting from scratch. It's a little too early to try to make van reservations for something that is in early September.

There has been some discussion in previous meetings about having a Southern California conference where we do exceedingly well.

Jon: I have touched base with Don Marsh on the possibility of having a conference in western Colorado, i.e., Grand Junction. The Rockies there are spectacular; the San Juan Mountains have a lot of good places for field trips. It would be a summer event. We are trying to invigorate our partnership with CFO. Don is on their Board as well as ours. Pueblo might be engaged again, we haven't been there in a while, and it might be of interest. Financially, it wouldn't do as well as Southern California and even though we were in Pueblo on the plains a few years ago, Grand Junction is a completely different place up on the western slope of the Rocky Mountains.

Don: There are a lot of neat places to go. Grand Junction is almost the size of Pueblo in the summer. I haven't talked to CFO about this, but I am sure they would be interested in promoting that. I could talk to CFO and see if they want to put in a pitch to have WFO there. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Jon: That means we could approach a two-tier track for 2023, Southern California and Don contacting CFO for 2023 or 2024?

John H.: I don't think we should organize for next year's conference while we are organizing for this year's conference. We ought to figure out how to bump this cycle ahead a little bit. Maybe this is the opportunity to do it and have California next year and Colorado the following year. The other organization that I have been involved with and had conferences that moved from year to year, was the Western Section of the Wildlife Society. By this time of year in the conference cycle we had already decided the next year and had a group explore the following year. Each conference ought to have a little local committee.

Jon: Let's do this. As a trial balloon, what if Don contacts CFO for 2024 and we do San Diego in the Fall of 2023 which would be more migration oriented. Maybe we can reach out to Tom Blackman and see if he can take on the responsibility of an exploratory look at San Diego for 2023 in the Fall? **John H.:** That's acceptable.

2:30pm Student Programs: Wendy Beers

Report: The Student Programs Committee focused on getting student applicants for the Reno Conference. Since there has been a lot of money going into Student Programs, we increased the graduate students from 2 to 3 for next year. They had a lot of applicants in the last year. We are keeping ornithologists going on their career path, part of the backbone of WFO. One of the things that we learned from last year's Zoom conference was that students want to hear from the graduate students that are out in the field and how to get positions in internships. There was a proposal to do a virtual conference again since the success of the 2021 conference. Students really want to hear young people, real field research, and the real science. The other topic was if there was going to be a panel discussion about how to get an internship in addition to planning a field trip for the youth. We are going to put together another Zoom meeting **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

John H.: We have gone 2 years without doing the regular scholarship program associated with the conference. There is some effort being put into bringing it back **ACTION ITEM:** Bring back regular scholarships

John H.: The grants that we gave out were \$1500, but last year we had a tie when our committee was evaluating the applicants, so we split one of the scholarships. There were 3 recipients who haven't been reimbursed yet. We really didn't have guidelines about what sort of report they were required to provide. We had 2 students who presented at the conference. We never heard back from the student who got the grant and was doing research on the spotted towhee. What we need to do is tie the final payment to the receipt of the report. **ACTION ITEM: Hold off on final scholarship payment until requirements are fulfilled.**

2:35pm Outreach/Fundraising Committee:

Birdathon: Andy:

Report: By all accounts everything went very well. I want to publicly thank Jen Hajj. I don't think she signed into this meeting at all, but I want to thank her for pulling this all together and thank all the Board members who participated directly in the Birdathon. We had an attractive and informative website, we had a series of newsletter announcements, email blasts with the website link, and conference announcements to promote the Birdathon. We had 17 teams registered which were heavily weighted toward California teams but also spread to outside the state. We had 2 teams each from Washington state and Colorado. We had a Canadian team which had a member who was on a trip to France and birded for the team. We had over 300 individual donors which was a remarkable turnout considering the number of sponsors that registered. There were a number who did not want to register but just sent in their checks. Our total right now is \$31,361 of donations.

ACTION ITEM: There will be the Birdathon wrap-up party which Jen insisted that we do. We have scheduled that for November 11th at 7pm. The plan is to thank all the teams and their sponsors, officially announce the team totals, announce some special awards, and to celebrate the conclusion of this first WFO Birdathon.

ACTION ITEM: We are going to be doing an after-event report. I am assuming that we will be doing this type of event again in the future. I think our total expenses will be under \$5,000. We will be contributing over \$25,000 to the budget. **ACTION ITEM: I am going to be writing a wrap up article for the last .pdf version of our newsletter.**

Robin: Thank you Andy for the hard work on the Birdathon. I tried to donate online but I couldn't, so I wound up sending in a check.

Andy: That was a serious glitch. Also, the extra added 3% fee didn't work properly. **ACTION ITEM: We will address that the next time around.**

Robin: I noticed there were a lot of teams that emphasized birding rather than bringing in money, but the first time out it is much more important to get the wheels greased.

Jon: I have the original pileated painting in my possession. John Schmitt said it was completely a donation on his part, for everything WFO has done for him, particularly the Life Membership. He was astounded at the generosity of that. In Reno we will work out a method in promoting the painting in an auction to the highest bidder. I don't know if we worked out where the money goes, whether it be divided, etc. **ACTION ITEM:** How to allocate monies from the auction.

2:50pm Outreach: Robin:

Report: I had a few comments on the Diversity and Equity Inclusion Statement (DEI) that I sent out to everyone.

Andy: The original statement appears a little bit dated in re-reading it now. The restatement was appropriate, and it was more timeless in its presentation.

Kimball: The DEI part is fine, but in describing our organization, it reads that this is a birding organization. I would like to think that we are more than that. I don't know if an ornithologist whose scientific interest or somebody wanting to do that without being a 'hard core' birder would feel welcome by this statement. I would tweak the wording a little bit that describes us as a field ornithology or scientific organization. This wording is found in the Diversity and Equity Inclusion (DEI) Statement, "we welcome all birders to learn about science and places to bird and habitats that must be protected."

Dan: Why can't we change it to bird students? Birders study birds too. I am wondering too, if several lines down, as to the diverse population of western North America, if we must itemize every way in which we are all diverse, instead of just saying that reflects the diversity of the population of western North America.

Jon: I'm not sure about bird students that may imply an age category perhaps, and I am totally sympathetic to most birders. If everybody could give careful thought to the issues that are being brought up and if you could send comments to Robin in writing, as to which sentences you want improved. I think this is extremely important. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentences. The December meeting is to approve the budget, but I think this is important and should be added. So, Robin if you can get comments within the next 2 weeks and reformulate the DEI Statement and you send out another draft, then we needn't have continuing discussion and arguments on this in December. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence. I would rather just have approval, but everyone should have a chance to weigh in on the

wording changes. If there is a major disagreement with the tone, that conversation should be carried on now.

Dan: So why don't we just say we welcome all who want to bird instead of all birders who want to learn?

Robin: We want to eliminate the 1-year free membership.

(Board votes to eliminate the 1-year free membership in the DEI Statement by a vote of 10-2)

Suzanne: Chris Swarth granted the free membership to Drew Lanham, but no one has applied for it.

Robin: On another topic, I wanted to write a draft or a letter to be sent out to the various Audubon chapters and Bird Clubs in the western states. I have a book with all the various clubs in it, "A Guide to North American Bird Clubs," so I was hoping that the people in the various areas on the Board would write a letter that was like the letter I was going to write. I was wondering what you folks thought about that letter. Separately I sent everyone an email basically introducing whoever is writing the letter and then tell them we are interested in knowing if they have a young birder group and tell them about WFO.

Wendy: The Student Program has a copy of this, and we were all very much in favor of it. I see myself working with this where you pretty much spelled everything out and all I must do is put my name in it and send it. People in different geographic areas can use this. It seems like an easy way to reach out to many different groups. This makes it look like it is friendly.

Robin: I was hoping to get all the addresses and all of that for you. I will make a spreadsheet for it and assign people to various clubs, i.e., Don could take Colorado; Bob or Dan take Alaska. The letter must be polished. Send me your comments when you look at it. **ACTION ITEM:** Send Robin ideas, comments for introductory letter for WFO for bird groups.

Jon: If everyone could send in the next week or so, comments to Robin on tweaking the language, so he can come up with a basic document and sign it. Robin, just say you are head of the Outreach but then find representatives for each state that could send your letter and give it a plug and then see if they would be willing to forward it. So, we need to come up with a list of people for each area/state who could then distribute it to the bird clubs and give it a plug. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence. They are the ones that are going to interface with the bird clubs. So, you get Robin's letter, but you also get a plug from the people

that are sending it. They may know the bird club people rather than a form letter per se. It's a letter from this group and the person they know and to know that this is group that is being taken seriously. If others have a different approach, you can include that in your letter. This is an outreach not only for students, but all people interested in WFO.

Robin: My take is that I would prefer it if the first paragraph would come from the person on the Board like Don or Dan or Bob. It would say, "I'm on Board and we want to know if you know about WFO and to see if we could offer to your youth group, if you have a youth group." That way we could find out if the birding organization or the Audubon society has a group. In the background we must figure out how we are going to use this synergy we would get from the various clubs and how we can promote the youth groups, whether it be virtual meetings or get together at the conferences, etc.

Jon: Does the entire Student Programs Committee support the second paragraph?

Wendy: I sent it to everybody during the meeting, so they probably didn't have a chance to look at it that much. Let's let people who can write, respond and we'll take it from here. It looks good to me, but I am not an editor at all.

Jon: It's wording, but it is also tone. Is this the right approach to reach youth that we are not reaching? I would say yes, but I am only one voice. The input from the Committee is important.

Robin: We want to introduce WFO because we don't know how many organizations everywhere know about WFO. When I wrote my Birdathon I tried to elicit money from 3 different Audubon groups, and they said "What's WFO?" That's what we need to do to get more membership.

Jon: Susan Gilliland, this was your approach more than a year ago, are we hitting the right tone?

Susan: I think it is probably a discussion for the Committee. I would say no, but that is just my opinion. I think that people find out about things in different ways now, not just by email. We were trying to recruit students by email, and we weren't very successful. We need to use the kind of media that these students use these days which is social media, but we aren't doing that. If we want to find students, letting the Audubons know about WFO is one way, but I think we really want to reach students, and there's tons of students out there, graduate students, post docs, etc., that we are not actually reaching. It's sad for WFO, because it's a great organization and from my point of view it is a professional organization, and I

would love to see the students who are studying ornithology be involved with WFO. It is a missed opportunity. I think we should try a different approach because otherwise we are doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Robin: Have we ever tried to contact all the various clubs in the western States? There are 60,000 Audubon members in the Bay area.

Susan: I haven't. Robin, it is certainly worth a try. You really want to reach the students that you want to get and whom I think should be knowing about WFO, and be really involved with WFO, because they will be the organization someday. You need to reach out to those postdocs, graduates, and undergraduates. Graduate students like our very own Bryce Robinson, he's done a lot of great stuff. We need to know how they find out about information. How do they find out about ornithology papers, and the cutting-edge science, so we can put ourselves forward as a professional organization? I think it is going to require that we think out of the box and use different tools that we haven't tried before.

Diane: I was on the Outreach Committee way back when Frances Oliver was the head of it. She did this approach. I wrote lots and lots of letters and I didn't get any response and those that I did I was appealing to their newsletters, and they said, 'they don't do newsletters, so we are not interested.' It seems too soft sell. We know what we want them to do for us, but what do we want to do for them? I agree with Susan, we are doing it the old fashion way. We need to get in there and do the social media stuff.

Susan: I have 'white hair' and I really don't know how to do all this, but I would find somebody who does, who can speak to the up-and-coming ornithologists of the future, otherwise we are going to be losing those folks. There are plenty of other ornithological groups out there and they may be attracted to those. I hate to see that because I feel strongly that WFO is a great organization, and it has lots to offer but they also have a lot to offer WFO. I would like to try to reach out in different ways.

Bob: I reiterate what both Diane and Susan said. My roommate is Colleen Handel who is President-elect of AOS. Right now, their 12-hour days are being occupied by Outreach, Diversity, Inclusion, etc. Email is the last thing these people are dealing with right now. It is all social media. All different platforms. I will inquire of her more. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous paragraph.

Shaun: I think if we are thinking about how young people want to be communicated to, we must ask *them* how they would like to be communicated to. Maybe at this point there needs to be a focus discussion with the young people to figure this out, and not assume, because assuming is not a good way to approach

young people. I have two daughters neither of which use Twitter or Facebook. They use a lot of different platforms not mentioned here. And it definitely is not a newsletter. **ACTION ITEM: Ask youth how they want to be communicated to.**

Wendy: We had two members from the Student Council who tried to reach out to different students to find out how best to stay in touch with WFO. They had a very poor response. Not being a social media person, I am at a loss. Robin's letter looked good to me. It looked open and friendly. I didn't think the target was just to get young people involved, it was more like reminding the different birding organizations in different geographical areas of WFO and that we have youth participation. For example, it was Lena Hayashi who recognized Lara Tseng as a really promising young birder and got her associated with WFO. I don't know how to do social media, Maybe we should concentrate on reaching out to the parents or concerned adults so they can get the children to apply for the scholarships.

Robin: In trying to figure out how they can find us other than the website, I was thinking of a private Facebook WFO group. You were saying that Facebook may not be the best platform, but how do you get the word out that we exist?

Karen: We do have a Facebook account, but it is not updated. Cliff Hawley is the administrator from Sacramento, and he gets his membership free for doing this.

Jon: I guess it is all Outreach. It sounds like Cliff needs to be involved in this. I don't see anything close until our overall plan is developed and is going forward. **ACTION ITEM: See previous sentences.** Let's move onto other things. Robin, sorry about your project not going forward right now.

Jon: In considering a partnership with ABA, we need a Board decision.

Robin: This idea came from an employee and an ABA Board member, John Lowry. He wants WFO to buy an ad in their ABA magazine to tell them about our organization. They have 13,000 members. We want to work with their youth. That's what we stand for. You notice I also repeated our mission statement in that letter.

Jon: Robin, you might want to think about that and come up with a recommendation for the next Board meeting. **ACTION ITEM: See previous sentence.** I support ABA; they bring a lot of youth birders in, and they have excellent leaders for their events, but I see them more as a listing organization, something that has less to do with WFO.

3:25pm Website Committee: Don Marsh

Report: We met via Zoom on Oct 23rd, and I sent out a summary to the Board. We talked about putting out some small biographies of the Officers and the Board

members on the website. About 100 words and maybe even a photo. I will send an email out as an example. It's not big, don't overdo it. Please have them in by end of November. **ACTION ITEM: All: See above paragraph.**

Please make sure we have scheduled this expense for the 2022 budget. I have been updating the website. I have been working with Judith who has a lot of great ideas. We will be having another meeting before our budget meeting. We have a punch list of things for Tim to do. We will try to keep the website visually appealing and fresh.

3:30pm Field Trip Committee: Kurt Leuschner

Report: If any of you are wanting to lead a field trip in 2022 now would be the time to think about that for budgetary considerations. The exception would be Nov. 3-6, 2022, a year from today. I have set aside that weekend and I hope Jon D. has too, for our Coachella Valley, Salton Sea weekend. Originally it was going to be a fundraising type of trip but now it could morph into a student retreat opportunity for which I could foresee trying to get some students and possibly their parents to attend that weekend. Maybe some Board members might want to join that weekend. Jon and I plan to do something for WFO that weekend. I was talking with Wendy and the Student Programs Committee thinking that they might want to make it into a youth retreat. If that's the focus, I think Student Programs should set aside some money, perhaps \$500 - \$1,000, not necessarily to use it all, but it is there in the budget for expenses for subsidizing some rooms for the students, etc. I am happy to help.

Kurt: The Cuba trip has been postponed as of the January 2022 to January 2023 which is outside the realm of the budget at this time. All the people who wanted to go, still want to go, so I will keep them engaged. We can think ahead for 2023.

Jon: I have not kept in touch with Dave Quady and John Harris in doing a California tour in 2022 so that window has probably passed.

Conservation/Science Policy Committee: Kristie Nelson

I don't have anything new, but if there are any items of interest, let me know.

3:36pm Awards Committee: Karen Havlena

Report: We have 3 awards categories, the Swarth, the Craig and the Volunteer Service Award. We have 2 awards to give out. One is an Andrew Birch print and the other a Tom Schultz lithograph. We could spend a little bit of money and ask Nancy Overholtz who is a WFO member and an excellent water colorist, if she would entertain doing a Sabine's Gull type of watercolor for us. I don't know how

we do that, but I put it in my budget for approval. I haven't talked to Nancy, but I did send Dan a gorgeous Northern Saw Whet owl card done by her. I thought she could do something for us, and we would give her a fee. I don't think it warrants an oil painting price, but do we need to have approval of this to put it in the budget?

Jon: If a recipient gets the Craig or the Swarth award then they get the Schultz.

Karen: The Birch prints are in terrible shape. They sit in the dark 100% of the time. They have not faded but they don't look very good, especially the juvenal Sabine's Gull. Either we need to get new prints or have Andy touch up every one of the juvenal Sabine's Gull prints.

Jon: Who gets the Birch prints?

Karen: The Volunteer Service Award. We have 30 prints of the Birch prints and 24 of the Schultz lithographs. We don't give these out every year. I would like to have Andy touch up to his prints. The water is so pale, and everything is just so white.

Jon : Is it sort of an embarrassment, Diane? (*Diane was awarded a print.*)

Diane: No, I wouldn't say that. I didn't even notice it was a problem until Karen pointed it out. I know a couple of places I could check out for prints. I'll work on this with Karen. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Jon: I think the intention, Karen, was for the Craig and Swarth recipients to get the same Sabine's painting that Tom Schultz did.

Karen: That is what's going to happen in Reno.

Jon: Put a request in as a placeholder in the budget, if we don't use it, it gets rolled over, but I think we need to think carefully about replacing the Birch painting. The Board should think about if they want a different painting between the Craig and the Swarth as opposed to the certificate. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Karen: Tom Blackman has 3 sets of the WFO etched wine glasses on hand. I guess he automatically orders some when he runs out because we used them earlier this year. I also have estimates for framing. I have just put in for a couple of hundred dollars to get some templates that we did not have.

Nominations Committee: John Harris

Report: We will have 2 people terming out of the Board this year, Kimball, and Karen. Ironically, The Nominations Committee includes Kimball and Karen. We are looking for their replacements. Some of you have already given us names. The

Committee hasn't met yet, but I would just remind people that if you think of someone who would be great on the Board, please let us know. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

3:53pm **NEW BUSINESS:**

Part-time administrative position: John Harris

Shaun laid out the rationale for this thinking in her report earlier. There are several tasks that have fallen into the lap of the Treasurer's position that aren't Treasurer jobs. There may be opportunities for consolidation. Our Board could use help with tasks that are administrative in nature. Also, they would be dealing with social media accounts in a more centralized and useful way. Shaun and I are putting together a list of some of these tasks and seeing if it makes sense to package them together into a 1099 contract part-time administrative position.

Shaun: It is a paid position, but we are not ready to talk about it yet, nor to bring it to the Board for approval. We have not put a dollar amount as John H., and I are working out the details of what the tasks would be and to see how many hours would be needed over a year's time.

Jon: This situation came up because Suzanne took on more things that really were beyond the scope of Treasurer/Membership Secretary and now need to be decoupled from the position. If you two, (John H. and Shaun), come up with a series of tasks for this individual and if the Board agrees with this, then we would put it out for hire. I would think that you both would have more information at the next Board meeting. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous sentence.

Robin: Should we have them manage the Twitter and Facebook type accounts?

Shaun: We will put that on the list, but it may not make the cut.

Robin: I don't want to take anything away from Bryce Robinson or Cliff Hawley.

Don: Regarding Kurt's comment about the Zoom account: right now, I was going to take it over from Suzanne, but I think Kurt had a proposal of having generic emails.

Jon: Don Marsh, are you comfortable being the Zoom coordinator?

Don: Yes, I took over from Suzanne.

Jon: The next meeting is the 8th of December at 1:00pm PST to approve the budget.

Yearend Letter: Robin

What is the state of WFO at the end of the year, i.e., the yearend letter? It doesn't have to be an appeal, but we should tell everybody what we have been doing throughout the year.

Jon: John H. and I will do the yearend letter without asking for money.

Andy: I think it should be an upbeat optimistic letter thanking everybody for the work they have done, i.e., Birdathon, virtual conference.

Jon: It will be signed by John H. and myself and it will be an email blast. **ACTION ITEM:** See previous three sentences.

4:08pm **Motion to adjourn made by Andy, seconded by Don, and passed unanimously.**