

**Western Field Ornithologists  
Board of Directors  
Monday January 29, 2023, 4:00-6:25PM  
Virtual Meeting  
(coronavirus pandemic declared over)**

Minutes prepared by Liga L. Auzins Wurster, *Rec. Sec'y.*

**Board Members and Officers present:** John H. Harris, *President*; Kimball L. Garrett, *Vice President*, Jonathan L. Dunn, *Past President*; Shaun F. Wilde, *Treasurer/Membership Secretary*; Liga L. Auzins Wurster, *Recording Secretary*; Elisabeth Ammon, Matthew Baumann, Wendy L. Beers, Teresa Connell, Daniel King, Robin Leong, Andrew Mauro, Kristie Nelson.

**Board Members absent:** Robert Gill, Susan Gilliland, Don Marsh, Daniel Ruthrauff.

**Guests:** Philip Unitt, *Editor, Western Birds (WB)*; Judith Dunham, *Editor, WFO News*; Maci MacPherson, *Administrator*.

**MINUTES**

**4:06pm** Meeting called to order, welcome and roll.

**Liga:** We have 2 minutes to reference. I redid the 09-08-2022 minutes as we had technical difficulties. The minutes that we need to go over is 10-24-2022. I do want to apologize to Dan King for leaving him off the welcoming of the new Board members.

**John H.:** If there are no comments on the earlier minutes (09-08-2022), we should vote to approve those now.

**Motion made by Robin, seconded by Elisabeth, and passed with one abstention.**

**John H.:** If there no comments on the 10-24-2022 minutes would someone make a motion for the minutes as amended?

**Motion made by Andy, seconded by Robin, and passed unanimously.**

**4:10pm** **Treasurer's Report: Shaun**

**Update:** Kristie and I submitted the December statement. We are going to talk about the Legacy Society, giving you financial updates, and the progress with our software. Our fund balances at the end of the year leave us in a strong financial shape. The General Fund, Pubs Fund, and Scholarship Fund are all showing strong numbers. This year was exceptional for several reasons. We have the Mallory matching grant which brought in \$60,000. The fund raising for the *Inyo* book also brought in a considerable amount of money. The Conference income was very good. Dave Shuford's year-end Birdathon effort came in very strong. We ended the year with \$68,000 over our expenses. Most of our expenses go for *Western Birds, (WB)*, the Conference, and Scholarships, and about \$14,000 for administration and finance member services. January is a busy month. The 1099s went out to all our contractors. We also sent out to members our second renewal notice for the 2022 expiration. We paid our California sales tax; we set up and tested a payment process for the Birdathon. **ACTION ITEM:** We need to start working with Marjorie (who did a very good job last year), on our tax returns. I will be reaching out to both John H. and Maci for support on that. We

also must update and file our incorporation papers with the Secretary of State. We will send out a second reminder for lapsing members. We will prepare the list for **WB**. We did an audit 3 years before I came on. **ACTION ITEM:** We should do an audit and that is something I will take up with the Finance Committee on how often we should do it. It's good financial practice.

**Elisabeth:** You could use the audit as positive advertising to the donors. People will feel so much better if they know this is an audited organization.

**Shaun:** We have been working on our operations manual. I do believe we are not definitive enough in our bylaws as to what we should and should not do. The audit is something that should be in the operations manual and/or in the bylaws. I looked at the very good audit report before I came on board. We could go back to that firm for consistency. Kristie had suggested another non-profit accounting firm that we could go to, or I can ask our tax accountant.

**John H.:** **ACTION ITEM:** I think it would be a good idea to send the audit report around to the Board since we have so many new members since the audit was done.

**Shaun:** Since the audit we have changed many items to protect ourselves. **ACTION ITEM:** I can do some sort of analysis with the audit report with Kristie in our Finance meeting, and we can share that with the Board.

**Robin:** There are 2 kinds of audits in organizations I belong to. A long thorough audit and a short audit. You can do the short audit annually. The long audit is only necessary when things change like Shaun taking over for Suzanne. So, the long audit was done then and a short one could be done now, but I suggest asking a tax person about that.

**John H.:** **ACTION ITEM:** Let's put the audit item on the agenda for the spring.

**Shaun:** The Reno Conference had 214 attendees, the year before was a virtual conference, and then before that, no conference, making this number a very positive one. With the new system we set up for the Birdathon, I get a notification that 'x' amount of dollars is coming in. I also see a statement that tells me exactly what percentage is taken out. C-vent is not set up that way. Previously we had signed a 5 year contract with C-vent, so we are stuck with paying them whether we use them or not.

4:27pm

#### **Membership Report: Shaun**

**Update:** We have moved our membership over to the APLOS program at the end of December, thanks to Maci and me. Thank you, Judith. We sent out a notice in November to membership. As of January 6<sup>th</sup>, we had 177 renewals by credit card. 45% of the people who renewed by credit card covered the credit card fees. We tested the system and on January 17<sup>th</sup> and we only sent out to members who had expired, a reminder for them to pay. About 20% of that 244 have paid in the last 2 weeks. We have 28 libraries and institutional members who have renewed. We added 2 new Life Members. We have received unsolicited donations because we do leave a blank space where people can add donations on our renewal page. We can now download reports from APLOS easily. What doesn't work so well is that the system does not allow us to adjust the language, i.e., it categorizes 'membership' as a 'donation' and in the letter of the law it is a donation, but that was confusing to members that we couldn't use the word 'membership'. Maci and I have been sending out emails to those who have renewed confirming that we received their membership. We know they receive an automatic note from the APLOS system. The system is not perfect, but it is working efficiently. If I receive a check that someone mailed, it takes about 35 minutes to process a check,

whereas if someone pays by credit card, it takes less than 15 minutes. Maci and I spent November and December assuring that the records of our 944 members were done correctly. Cleaning up a database takes time to move everything from excel to a database. A lot of data cleansing was done.

**John H.:** We talked about the Mexico memberships at our last meeting and formed a group to look at this. Subsequently we had a very interesting discussion online. Elisabeth sent a link to a preprint article that will come out in a scientific journal with a link. **ACTION ITEM:** I would like to resurrect that discussion maybe just by resurrecting the email stream or possibly setting up a zoom this Spring. I think there is interest among us in trying to reach out to our colleagues in Latin America, whether it has to do with membership policy or other things, i.e., travel grants, research grants or abstracts in Spanish in **WB**.

**Kimball:** One of the biggest points made by those Latin authors was how Northerners and Europeans have tended not to include Latin American researchers in every step of the way, including publications that often don't cite Latin American publications that are in all Spanish language journals, etc. Phil goes out of his way to smooth the way, nurturing in publication articles from many researchers in Mexico in the geographical area we cover. We have been doing a lot of what those authors have been looking for in facilitating a path to publication and in nurturing publication of results. One thing we haven't been doing is putting abstracts to those articles in Spanish. Phil is really doing a lot of what they are looking for.

**Phil:** Everyone in Baja California knows us and knows me. I have worked on projects with a lot of those people. I think we have good relationships there. Going across the Gulf (of California to the mainland) is over my horizon. **ACTION ITEM:** If others of you have contacts with people from Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, etc., then building personal relationships is essential to outreach. The special membership category is not going to make that much difference.

**Jon:** I was introduced to the couple from Sonora who came to the Reno conference. What I would like to see is if we could establish any communication as Phil has done in Baja. It would require that a person get in touch with this man and see whether there was more we could do in a proactive sense. I don't know if Phil would want a Spanish abstract or not for our papers. The abstract can be a long English one or just a 2 sentence summary, i.e., for a 20 page article.

**Elisabeth:** The 2 folks who were at the Reno conference were friends of mine and Carlos is our employee Great Basin Bird Observatory (GBBO). We have several contacts in Sonora which I think is the most obvious region besides Baja that we should consider. We should resurrect a subcommittee. Maybe membership is not even the topic we need to talk about, maybe more a topic more like how we can translate an abstract. There are some very good translator programs out there that will do most of the work, which would help in reaching out to these folks. Even my Mexican colleagues said that there is a cultural difference that precludes them from attending an organization or conference. There needs to be a personal contact basically saying we would like to have you at this conference, etc., plus physical outreach much like Phil is already doing.

**Phil:** **ACTION ITEM:** Is anyone into the Conference SIPA-MEX? I know they met in San Luis Potosi. Two Mexicans went there and presented. If one of us were at the meeting networking that would be that kind of thing that might be effective.

**John H.:** **ACTION ITEM:** I will take it upon myself to restart that discussion with the group.

**Elisabeth:** I would like to nominate Phil to be on this committee if possible.

**John H.:** Who is our best Spanish speaker among us? (*silence*)

**Jon:** **ACTION ITEM:** The subcommittee was of great interest to Carol Beardmore, so she would be a person to outreach to. I would like to remind everybody that the last 2 committee members to be out on the AOS Checklist Committee for North America were Hispanic females from Mexico.

4:46pm

**Birdathon:**

**Andy M.: Update:** The website is up and active so you can make donations, set up teams, etc. We have sent out our official email blast to the WFO membership announcing the launch of the website and giving everyone the link. The first Birdathon brought in \$35,000, and we are not sure what to expect this year. Dave Shuford has been doing a fall Birdathon for WFO with his own 2 member team for at least 5 years. He didn't want to break the string in doing the Birdathon in the fall. He has brought in over \$5,000. Most of the money came in during the 2022 calendar year, but we are going to include those revenues in our 2023 WFO Birdathon totals with an asterisk giving Dave some credit for being the inspiration for the WFO Birdathons. Shaun will not credit that again for the 2023 Birdathon, but we will put it into our thermometer which measures the donations made thus far. Therefore, we are already \$5,000 in the black on our Birdathon effort for 2023. We are anticipating only about \$25,000.

We have our signature bird, the tricolored blackbird, and the Board has agreed to donate money to help support the Conservation Program to benefit its preservation and protection. We have reached out to the Central Valley Bird Club, (CVBC), who is also concerned with the tricolored blackbird. I feel it would be best if we left it up to those individuals that are directly involved with the Program to decide how to utilize our donated funds. How much money do we want to donate to this conservation effort as part of Birdathon proceeds? The amount of money I felt was appropriate was \$5,000, which would be approximately 20% of our proceeds.

**Discussion: Robin:** In Judith's newsletter Andy's Birdathon part is well done. I think we should take a percentage instead of a definite amount because we might make a lot of money. You already have \$5,000 in the bank.

**Jon D.:** Dan Airola could make the best decision for the Conservation Program. He has been involved with us. It is not an annual commitment. It is considerable and we should publicize that so that we get some credit that the Birdathon proceeds are not all going to WFO. Dan could set up something to handle where if people wanted to give more to that organization, they could. **ACTION ITEM:** We would keep people informed on what is going on with tricolored blackbird conservation.

**Andy:** **ACTION ITEM:** I want to put together a pop out page that talks more specifically about the conservation aspect of this year's Birdathon. We will give the information about the organization and talk about the amount of the donation that the Board has decided to give. It will include a copy of the letter from Jon D. and Dan A. I have put together a page that talks about the tricolored blackbird and its selection as our signature bird, its status, and some of the issues associated with it. This page will be available to people who visit the Birdathon website. We can also put down contact information for them to give additional support to tricolored blackbird conservation.

**John H.:** Phil has made some comments in the chat about articles in *Western Birds* (**WB**) that have to do with tricolored blackbirds. There is no question that this is a relevant species for us to be thinking about with this Birdathon. We agreed to donate \$5,000 but if we receive an abundance of donations, we can always revisit the donation amount. Is everybody comfortable with \$5,000 for now? (*Consensus of Board with no objections*)

**Jon D.:** Andy, as part of the \$5,000 are you going to have Dan A. decide where the money goes, or do we need to decide that? Secondly, reading now from the website, I have a small correction, John Schmitt did do the tricolored painting and I have been sending around his completed work of the 3-toed Woodpecker. He would not object to receiving some donation payment, i.e., \$200. Although it is not strictly a donation, he is donating the work to us, perhaps to auction the painting. Maybe this could be added to the tab. The painting will basically be ours. I didn't specifically iron that out with him, but that is the way he has always done it. He will get \$200 for the tricolored and \$200 for the 3-toed woodpecker.

**Andy:** He is basically donating it for our use, and we are paying him \$200 for mailing it, etc.

**Robin:** I move to make it official that we are compensate John Schmitt \$200 each for 2 paintings, the tricolored blackbird, and the American three-toed woodpecker for a total of \$400.

**John H.: Discussion:** The American three-toed woodpecker has to do with the conference and not the Birdathon as does the Tricolored Blackbird. I don't think a motion is necessary.

**Jon D.:** Do we need it as a Board consensus that Dan A. makes the decision where we contribute the \$5,000?

**Robin:** I am thinking of Bob Meese, a professor at UC Davis, who is a tricolored person so he would a good person to ask.

**John H.** Dan A. works with Bob M. on tricolors. They are all on the technical advisory committee at California Fish and Wildlife. There is good communication there.

**Andy:** Dan A. has been involved with this right from the beginning. I am comfortable in having Dan A. take the lead on directing that money. **ACTION ITEM:** After the fact, I would like to get from Dan A. some kind of report that tells us what the money was used for, so that we can relay that information to our membership, i.e., newsletter article, Birdathon website.

**Phil:** Since there is a formal tricolored blackbird working group, it should be presented to the whole group, so we have the whole formal structure buying in rather than any single individual.

**Andy:** **ACTION ITEM:** I will put that letter together and send it Dan A. who will be representing the Tricolored Blackbird Working Group and working as our partner on all of this. I will send a note out to you Jon D. about the \$200 compensation to John Schmitt for handling of his donated tricolored blackbird painting for our Birdathon. Judith has put together a blast on Wed., Feb 1<sup>st</sup>, for the official launch of the Birdathon website. I hope all of you will sign up and be team leaders.

5:10pm

**Legacy Society Report: Shaun and Robin**

**Update: Shaun:** At the finance meeting, Robin, Kristie, and I talked about the next steps for the Legacy component of Planned Giving. We already approved the Planned Giving, and that material is out on the website. We now need to get to the recognition point for our Legacy givers. Part of that is publicizing and marketing. **ACTION ITEM:** We agreed at the last Finance Committee meeting that I would work with Todd to come with an update to the website. We would also like to do a newsletter article and a letter from the Past President, Jon Dun. Robin, Kristie, and I brainstormed a list of what we felt should be part of overall Legacy recognition. We felt it was important to recognize those members that want to be recognized so having a list of Legacy members like what we have for Life and Patron members was made. After our initial newsletter articles go out, we

might want to give some examples of giving. In **WB** we may want to have a Legacy page just like we have a donor page and do that once a year. We have several people who have joined the Zema Society. We also want web page recognition. Robin brought up the fact that Point Blue has a special pin. We might want to create a pin with a design on it, WFO Zema Society member, and name tags that say Legacy for an event, to better recognize these members and clearly, after the individual has passed, have some type of memorial in the newsletter. We are open to hearing from others, regarding these ideas and any additional ideas. **ACTION ITEM:** We will go forward with the ideas mentioned above. I know Jon Dunn will be talking to Judith about something for the next newsletter. We are accepting planned gifts and that has been on the website since we approved it at the Reno Conference. We have not considered on how to handle the Legacy Society donations. On the website we say the individual could give to all 3 funds that we currently have or just 1 or 2 funds. It would not be a separate fund for Legacy or Xema.

**Andy:** So, this is not money that is going to go into an endowment.

**Shaun:** **ACTION ITEM:** Part of the process in getting to that (endowment) was doing these steps. Part of that was getting the Planned Giving on the website and setting up the Xema Society. We need to redo the bylaws in a more financial direction, and do some more planning by this organization, an actual strategic plan, then having a fund raising plan, and then a financial plan.

**Discussion: Robin:** When we come to that I am sure the full Board will be voting on those kinds of things and we can then hire a financial planner if necessary. First, we need to do these steps.

**Shaun:** This is just the planning process we laid out early on. Part of that was setting up the Legacy Society. The Bylaws we haven't yet tackled. If we are coming to an investment strategy, there are a couple of steps between here and there. Each quarter we keep moving in that direction.

**Andy:** I am pointing out the fact that we have approximately \$20,000-30,000 in investment income potential and of course there is inflation every year.

**Jon D.:** Three quick points: 1) There was a discussion that we would do a t-shirt as well for the Legacy members, that may be another Schmitt painting. 2) Regarding Andy's concerns, Ron Mallory said there was a very safe thing we could do financially on an annual basis. 3) Since interest rates are going up, it is time to revisit CDs?

**Shaun:** **ACTION ITEM:** Kristie and I can take that under advisement and bring that up at the next Finance Committee meeting and come back with some ideas for the Board for a short term solution before we get to the investment policy.

#### **5:22pm Meetings:**

**John H.:** Shaun and I have been participating in a few meetings with the CFO folks in planning for the Conference. Maci has been pulled into conversations about youth programs. CFO is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for this Conference. Doug Faulkner is serving as Conference Coordinator. Together we are getting the facilities worked out, the space use pattern and organizing all the field trips. **ACTION ITEM:** There will be opportunities for the Board and other members to volunteer. All the local field trips will have local leaders, but CFO is anxious to have co-leaders and many of us could help with that. It's an opportunity to meet members on field trips. **ACTION ITEM:** I will need somebody to help with the Science Sessions to collect the abstracts, organize the program, and then have 1 or 2 of us moderate the Science Sessions. I don't think all those have to be the same

people, maybe we should have a very small committee that does that. The call for papers needs to go out soon.

**Kimball:** Regarding this, I did it in Reno for the one time and obviously I have all the information anyone would need, passed on by Steve Rottenborn, Ed Pandolfino, and others. I must make sure that I will attend but I am happy to help with that. As you may also know that Debbie Vandormolen, who ran the Science Sessions for many years, who reappeared at the Reno meeting, and sounded very interested in getting involved. **ACTION ITEM:** Reach out to Debbie Vandormolen for the Science Sessions for the Colorado meeting.

**John H.:** It will be two combined afternoon sessions with CFO. CFO is letting us take the lead on it.

**John H.:** There might be someone from CFO who might want to help moderate. Debbie's name came up as a potential Board member too.

**Jon D.:** What do I tell John Schmitt what to do with the painting?

**John H.:** I'll find out as I am not sure. I have John Schmitt's email so I can be in contact with him when you are in Thailand, Jon D.

**Jon D.:** **ACTION ITEM:** I will call and tell John Schmitt that as I have to approve the painting, I have no changes from my angle. I would like to see the letter and I want to see the subspecies at some point.

**Maci: Update:** I have been working with John H. and Shaun regarding the Pre-Conference camping trip, and I have reserved 4 regular campsites, for students, young birders and families that want to camp versus staying at Copper Mountain or a lodging option. We have 2 nights at the Windy Point Group Site which can fit a 100 people and it will be Monday and Tuesday night before the Conference. **ACTION ITEM:** We plan on talking to the CFO side of the Student Program group next week. I am working out the logistics. I am hoping to have a flyer for the Pre-Conference camping trip in February so people can sign up a head of time. We plan on providing food and I will help cook. I've had good feedback from the young people. During the Conference we have 4 campsites for 40 people total and that is throughout the whole Conference. I will make a flyer for that so people can sign up ahead of time. **ACTION:** From what I understand Jon D. and John H. are working on some student programs during the conference. We will also have the student reception and other things we have done in the past.

**John H.:** CFO also has some sort of youth program; therefore, we will do some kind of joint reception and probably multiple field trips for youth. Maybe we will have some involvement with some of the speakers with the youth program. We have a group meeting coming up next weekend to talk about of this. Jessie Barry, the keynote speaker, is the Director of the Merlin Program at the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. She will probably be involved in some of these youth programs. There will be the evening banquet, there will be 2 receptions, and maybe a welcoming picnic too. **ACTION ITEM:** If you have any ideas or suggestions, you can email me, or Shaun and we will bring them to the joint committee. We are part way through figuring out workshops.

**Shaun:** Sue Rice is doing the field trips and she is phenomenal. She is considering a rafting trip, a trip on the reservoir in Frisco, and she is thinking about including nonbirders as well as birders to include the whole family that comes. She also has a disability walk that she set up for someone who might not be able bodied. What she has put together already is amazing.

5:35pm

### **Student Programs:**

#### **Scholarship Programs:**

**John H.:** We approved in the budget Student Conference Scholarships. We have been circulating a calendar for advertising for the Student Scholarships. We will be launching that in the next week or two.

#### **Grant Programs:**

**John H.:** The 2023 Grant Program and the application process were in the newsletter. I will be sending out notices to a list of faculty members, list serves and the Colorado people. I will also contact past recipients, some of whom were from Colorado.

**Maci:** We have already presented 2 youth virtual programs in January of this year. We had great feedback from the attendees. Eleanor Dianment, a PhD. candidate from UCLA, presented to 12 folks, and then we had a presentation with the Liberty Wildlife Center in Phoenix. We had 2 wonderful people, Linda a volunteer and one of their student trainee/intern present to about 10 people. Folks from Montana, California, and Washington attended. We have 2 more virtual programs coming up, one on February 11<sup>th</sup> with a young birder panel and one on March 16<sup>th</sup> we have some of the professionals, including Jon Dunn and Bob Gill who will give a professional ornithology point of view on how they got to be where they are. Please share this information with your friends, family that might have young in their family, up to and including graduate school or anyone who is interested in connecting with other young birders.

**Teresa:** I am happy as a new Board member to help bridge the gap between the ages. I met a young gentleman named Nicholas Earnheart who wanted to do a podcast. We are working on getting our first audio podcast finished by the end of next month (Feb.). He will be interviewing Asher Perla, a young birder. It's in the newsletter under Current News. Judith put in a nice writeup about Nicholas and the work that we are doing. **ACTION ITEM:** My goal in the next few years is to get every student who is comfortable being on the website, up on the website so we can all get to know them. The second phase would be to make video podcasts and eventually webinars. These webinars will be for all ages and all levels.

**John H.:** One feature of the eNews compared to any paper newsletter or a .pdf, is that this could be interactive, so look to see if there are any comments on your announcement. Sometimes there is something you might want to respond to, or you want to make a comment. We did this when we first announced the Conference.

**Maci:** Robin you definitely are welcome to the student presentations, especially as a mentor. I will represent the bridge and all ages are welcome.

5:45pm

### **Publications Report:**

**John H.:** **Update:** Dan Ruthrauff, our Publications Chair, sent a brief update as he is traveling. Finally, the *Inyo* book will come out in 2023.

**Jon D.:** I talked to Ken Able who is shepherding this project. He said Part 9 is being looked at by Matt Heindel, and he thinks manuscript should be turned over to Tim Britain within a month. Then it is a matter of when Tim fits it in his schedule and the same issue is faced by the printer. **ACTION ITEM:** Bob Gill will have an update regarding the *Inyo* book at the next meeting.



**Phil: Western Birds (WB):** Our publication of **WB** 54(1) should be on schedule, and I should have the .pdf, the semi-final proof to circulate tomorrow morning (1/30/23). **ACTION TEM:** I looked at the list of donors and had some input, but I you should look at that one more time and if there is anything additional, please tell me. Regarding the paper supply, I spoke to Barry Blackwood, and he said the ships are coming to Los Angeles now, and ultimately to San Diego. Barry is retiring, but he is willing to work with the customers he likes, which means us, so that will have no immediate effect. 2-3 years down the line, we need to look for a printer. Although the rate of submissions was a bit less last year (2022), and also in the last 3 years, it is basically the same as the average of the last 10 years. **Encourage all your colleagues to contribute to WB.** Finally, the Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is outwitting Google. Todd Benton who is advising us on this with Ariel Hammond, Librarian at the SDMNH. Todd knows a lot, but he did not know about scholarly publishing. The trick is that each article needs to have tags in it that tell Google explicitly that this is a scholarly article. The hurdle is getting all of those tags in there. Todd is researching whether it can be done in some automated fashion. **ACTION ITEM:** He told me to contact him in 2 weeks and hopefully we will have the answer to that. The critical thing is if all those tags need to be added manually article by article, then that will be a big job that we will need an estimate and a budget for it. If it can be done via automation, it would be a lot cheaper.

5:51pm

### **Field Trips:**

**John H.: Update: Costa Rica:** The announcement for this trip went out to Life Members and Patrons this morning and we already have 4 people who said they will sign up. I want to thank Shaun and Judith for some tough slogging. Dealing with an international trip like this is a new thing for the 3 of us. We now have ideas on how we can develop some procedures so that we have a consistent way of dealing with these things and not reinvent the wheel each time. Both Phil and Kurt Leuschner told me that they might be doing a trip to Colombia in 2024.

**Phil: Update: Colombia:** At the Reno meeting Kurt and I met with Debbie Jordan of Holbrook, the company that I have done tours with over the last 15 years. For Colombia we talked about various destinations including places I hadn't gone to but had a great reputation, the Ontikiyan Valley in the southwest and Yurida on the Orinoco. Debbie put together an itinerary and budget based on those. It requires an internal flight from one side of the country to the other which turned out to be \$6,000. I was taken aback by that, but Kurt thought we should be able to do it. We maybe should scale back to something shorter and less expensive.

**John H.:** Do you think you two could put together a basic plan and a skeleton budget that we could discuss at the next meeting?

**Phil: ACTION ITEM:** I will forward you what Debbie sent to me regarding the Colombia trip.

**Jon D.: ACTION ITEM:** I would like to add a possible trip to Wisconsin with Tom Schultz and myself in January of 2024.

**John H.:** We will get things moving this summer at least in terms of preliminary planning. Another item was a joint 2 day trip by Jon D. on shorebirds. The last time we did this Central Valley Bird Club (CVBC) did the registration.

**Jon D.:** That was a CVBC trip. This would be a joint trip. Whatever funds would be raised, would be shared. **ACTION ITEM:** Maybe you and Pat Bacchetti could figure out the details and get an agreement to see if it is something we want to pursue jointly. One day would be refuges in the

Central Valley and the second day up at Lake Tahoe, if the water level drops up there. I see it as a benefit in maintain good relations which we've always enjoyed with CVBC.

5:57pm

### New Business:

#### **Meetings schedule for 2023:**

**John H.:** Our next meeting might be in the early summer before the Conference. We agreed last time that we were not going to have a physical meeting at the Conference, so that the Board and others can enjoy the field trips, therefore I am looking at something towards the end of May, early June. Does our summer meeting seem reasonable to people? We can deal with other things electronically in between. **ACTION ITEM:** I do want to forge ahead with the bylaws business. We could do it in the fall. **ACTION ITEM:** We will need to put together a local committee for the 2023 Conference in San Diego. Tom Blackman expressed a willingness to help with the early stages. We really don't have anybody on the Board who has dealt with conference registration. Nobody is happy with C-vent, the software we used for our last conference registration. It was the offspring of a company called Regonline. **ACTION ITEM:** I might try to put together in the next few months an exploratory committee to think about that. We might consider hiring an event planner who would help with the registration and help with the hotel venue. In the past, before some of you were on the Board, we talked about hiring Jen Hajj, who many of you know. She helped us do the virtual conference, was there at the Reno Conference, did the CVBC symposium (the virtual part) the last two years, and she has been running the San Diego Bird Festival, but we may want to open that up to other people. **ACTION ITEM:** Before the next Board meeting, I would like to meet with Shaun, and another person or two to do some preliminary thinking about San Diego and roughing out a description of what such a person might do. We still have Ed Pandolfino's manual, also known as 'Ed's Bible'. I think if you showed somebody who volunteered they would run screaming. I know I did. I referred to it even in this Colorado planning and have shared parts of it with the CFO people. We do have institutional knowledge about our conference planning. **ACTION ITEM:** The registration part of the planning needs work.

**Shaun:** I think Diane Rose did a lot of things that we don't know that she did. It went off beautifully because Diane paid a lot of attention to detail. Having an event planner would be very important because there is a lot of detail. You need to have someone who can act on every little thing that many of us may not want to deal with. My vote is to get an event planner.

**John H.:** CVBC, whose demographic is similar to ours, is finding that their pool of volunteers is dwindling. The people who have run the symposium year after year after year, are getting tired of it. They are going to hire an event planner for them too. If you have somebody who is occupying that core role, then it's a little bit easier to fill in with volunteers who have small, specified roles.

**Jon D.:** Should we think of San Diego Field Ornithologists as a junior partner? Charlene Glacie is going to be a joint Secretary of the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC). Initially she will be a Secretary in training. She strikes me as extremely well organized, lives down there, and does weekly field trips, etc. **ACTION ITEM:** Perhaps Charlene might be approached as to what her interest might be in being an event planner. She strikes me as the right person to start with and she might have a good idea about other people on the scene down in San Diego.

**Robin:** I came up with that list of the other organizations for Outreach for WFO. I was all set to write letters and I think Maci took it on.

**Maci:** I used your wonderful list to email everyone about the Student Programs. I got a lot of response from it, and they are really excited about connecting with us.

**Robin:** The primary reason I wanted to contact those organizations was for the young people. I asked you for a column that says 'contacted' and another column that says 'positive' or 'negative.'

**Maci:** **ACTION ITEM:** I will send you the marked list this week.

**Robin:** The primary reason for that list was to find out what they had and for them to find out something about our group. I thought my job was done. You contacted all the groups on the list, there are some very interesting groups that I didn't have on the list that I just found out about. The universities have bird clubs. UC Berkeley has one, as does Stanford and UC Davis. That opens new opportunities for the young people knowing about WFO, especially if they want to join some of our programs like you have and the one that Teresa has. We also need to have people who don't live in California to look at that list which is on Google so Maci can share it with everybody. Please take those organizations that I found and write them a letter. **ACTION ITEM:** I will send you a boiler plate letter for contacting organizations which you can tailor to your needs. I am hoping that Andy can take care of Washington and Elisabeth can take care of Nevada.

**John H.:** That effort has already paid off in the sense that it was useful in drumming up interest in these youth programs. One by-product of that is that Maci is going to a bird event in Montana and representing us there and maybe interacting with our members in Montana.

**Maci:** If any Board members have connections that would add an extra punch in Montana Audubon. Bernie, who is one of the Life members of WFO, asked if we wanted to have a table at the annual Montana Audubon outreach event in June. **ACTION ITEM:** With Jon's help I will do what we have always done for tabling, take some flyers and some **WB** issues, use Robin's letter, and talk to people about WFO.

**Jon D.:** There is a couple in Montana who have been very involved with WFO in a host of ways, Bob and Cynthia. **Maci:** Yes. I was going to offer them to help us with our table.

**Judith:** Everything is going well with the newsletter. **ACTION ITEM:** I will be in touch with various people to follow up on various items. The most immediate item going out is the announcement on the 1<sup>st</sup>, is of the Birdathon. **ACTION ITEM:** I need to in touch with Jen to make sure she works with Tim to get the official Birdathon site up and running before I send the blast.

**Andy:** I have been communicating with Jen. There is a little bit of confusion on exactly how that web link will occur, whether folks will go directly to the WFO newsletter or website home page where they must scroll down and click on the Birdathon to get to the Birdathon home page, which was my understanding on how it should be. Jen's general feeling is that that link should go directly into the Birdathon web page.

**Judith:** The reason I keep asking is because, I got a card with an email. You get an email and then you have a question, then you write the question and then time has gone by and the context is different, etc. **ACTION ITEM:** My understanding is that you go to the home page (WFO website) which I think is a little weird. There you have the newsletter and then the Birdathon. I prefer that in the blast the link go directly to the official page. I will write Jen and I will copy you Andy and ask if this is the link I should put in my blast?

**Andy:** That's the way Jen would like to see it. It means that people only have to do I click top get the Birdathon home page.

**Judith:** If people go to the WFO website because they are interested in something else, and they see the Birdathon, then that link will go to the official Birdathon page. I also want to make sure that Jen is working with Tim. It's okay if the official Birdathon page goes up earlier. I can send it anytime on the first. I will be in touch with others as different items come up. **ACTION ITEM:** We should put something in the Spring issue, a little update. We will at least send a second blast.

**John H.:** It's a good idea. Thank you everybody unless there is another item to bring up, I would entertain a motion to adjourn.

6:21pm

**Motion to adjourn made by Andy, seconded by Robin, and passed unanimously.**